If any of you have visited Costco lately, and likely other major stores, you know that Christmas products (like trees, gift wrap, cards, etc.) are already on the shelves! And while it may be too early (in my mind) to start preparing for Christmas, it’s not too early to be thinking about where you stand when it comes to your investments and taxes.
Do you have gains or losses? Would you like to know before year-end?
This is important information you need to know ahead of time, so that you can make educated tax planning decisions before the end of the calendar year.
Is there anything different you could be doing to ensure your upcoming tax season is less stressful and more manageable?
- If you don’t already use an experienced securities accounting service, now’s the time to get this in place.
- If you are managing your own investment portfolio, or the investment portfolios of your clients, and need a tried and true system for keeping track of your investment activity, it’s not too late to get this in place.
Getting ready for 2014 Taxes
You’ve just come through (hopefully) a lovely summer, having enjoyed some R&R with family and friends. You’re now back at it and working hard.
The tax season … and the pain of the 2013 tax season … is no longer fresh in your mind.
But if you weren’t as prepared as you should have been or would like to have been for the 2013 tax season, what are you doing differently so that 2014 is not a stressful repeat of the 2013 tax season?
Now, right now, is the perfect time to think about how to better manage your securities accounting. Getting your securities accounting organized before the end of the calendar year will provide you with accurate tools for tax planning. And knowing where your investments stand before the year-end can allow you to make wise decisions about them before it’s too late.
Here are two ways we can help you get ready ahead of time, and eliminate a great deal of your tax-time stress!
1. Let us do the work for you (or your clients)
Securities Services has been providing clients with detailed reports on their investments for tax purposes and filing insider reports for insiders of public companies for well over 20 years. Here’s how it works:
We track your investment details using Trader ii software, including:
- Moving average costs.
- Itemized dividends.
- Showing opening dollar balance and all transactions to date with running balances (by broker).
- Showing opening balance with moving average costs, plus trading activity with running average costs (by share).
- Showing all security positions in each brokerage account, or current positions of a particular security (location of shares).
- Converting foreign currency amounts to taxable currency for tax purposes, using Trader ii’s currency converter.
You also have online view access to the reports generated by Trader ii (see the image on the right), so you can know where you are at with the click of a mouse.
2. Do the work yourself (or for your clients)
Use Trader ii software to track your own investments or those of your clients. Trader ii software has been designed for individuals and for use by accountants and brokers, for use by them for their individual clients/investors.
Trader ii software isn’t complicated and we provide training that will walk you through the process of setting up your account. Once you’re set up, it’s really as easy as entering the data. The software does the rest!
How does the software work?
Each type of account or portfolio (cash accounts, retirement accounts, tax-free saving accounts or foreign currency accounts) needs to be set up separately. This is done to accommodate different tax treatments in each type of portfolio.
To arrange for a free online, no obligation, demo of the Trader ii software click here.
This information is provided as an information service only and is not intended to substitute for competent professional advice. No action should be initiated without consulting a professional advisor.